Saturday, July 17, 2010
11:19 AM | Posted by Sweep Commander | Edit Post
I found this awesome capture of a brown headed cowbird juvenile on Flickr.
And again, here is the bird I observed associating with the white crowned sparrow pair.
Finch like beak? Check.
Said finch-beak displaying bicoloring with darker upper mandible and yellow lower? Check.
Brown primaries with yellow trim? Check.Black eyes, mottled yellow brown breast bars? Check and check.
Fat little pot-belly? I don't think that one 'check' will do.
This rad NOVA Science Now video explores the cowbird way of life with sufficient mafia metaphors and kitch to show how overdone the gangster analogy was before I got a chance to have any fun with it. *Sigh* Also, Neil deGrasse Tyson does a mean cowbird themed Marlon Brando.
This equally rad post by BirdChick examines the ethical and legal issues surrounding the removal of cowbird eggs.
In this video, also posted by BirdChick, you can see a roadrunner nab a cowbird about 2 minutes and 45 seconds in.
- Young WEGUs excitedly perform "I can fly!" dance!
- Our secret identities
- Radio Maganrord!
- Cowbirds III: Media deluge, appearance by a female...
- Cowbirds part two: Concrete ID and links both amus...
- Bird census: Brown headed cowbird?!
- Brief updates from the elusive BourbonHawk
- Update goodie bag!
- "This is a big honking deal, Mr. President!"
- ▼ July (9)